Freedom of Information Act
VA Agency FOIA mission is to encourage and oversee agency compliance with the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).
Our goals to best serve you are
- Ensuring our team receives, date-stamps, and acknowledges your FOIA requests
- Providing transparency (PDF, 2 Pages) according to law at the highest level possible
- Initiating timely proactive disclosures by releasing documents via our Public Access Link (PAL)
- Providing responsive records quickly and efficiently with password protection capability
- Providing guidance through the FOIA Liaison
- Ensuring VA policies comply with Federal regulatory requirements and legislative mandates and are consistent throughout each VA Administration (Veterans Health Administration, Veterans Benefits Administration, and National Cemetery Administration)
File a FOIA request
- To file you must “Register” with PAL.
- Submit a proper request.
- Access the VA FOIA Reading Room for previously released documents.
- Request status updates on your submitted request.
- Learn about processing fees, fee waivers, and requester categories.
Go to FOIA.gov for specific VA Action Office Records, if you are searching for records regarding:
If you have already filed a request and not satisfied with the response, you may file a FOIA Appeal.
We encourage filing a FOIA Request electronically for faster processing. However, you are welcome to mail or fax requests to:Department of Veterans Affairs
Freedom of Information Act Services (005R1C)
811 Vermont Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20420
FOIA Public Liaison: Darryl Webb
Please refrain from submitting a FOIA request for personal records. This could delay overall processing.
Requests for personal records
You must request personal records (C-files, medical records, DD214, etc.) from the appropriate administration or agency.