Whistleblower Navigator FAQs

Whistleblower Navigator Frequently Asked Questions

Q:   How can I make a whistleblower disclosure, report whistleblower retaliation, or report VA senior leader misconduct or poor performance to OAWP?

A:  Please complete our  Complaint and Disclosure Form  or call us toll-free at 1-855-429-6669. Anonymous or confidential submissions may be made using either option.

Q:   Can I be fired, demoted or suspended from my job at the VA because I filed a whistleblower disclosure with OAWP?

A:   Retaliation, taking, threatening to take, or failing to take personnel actions against someone because they made a protected disclosure is prohibited. Please visit OAWP’s Whistleblower Rights and Protections page. If you’ve filed a whistleblower disclosure, consult with the investigator assigned to your disclosure to discuss possible protections available to you if you believe you received a personnel action based on your whistleblower disclosure.

Q:   How do I request a copy of a closed OAWP investigation?

A:   You may submit a request for information under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) or Privacy Act via email to oawpfoiarequests@va.gov .  See OAWP’s FOIA page for additional information.

Q:   How can I request a status update concerning a disclosure I filed with OAWP?

A:   Please send the request to vaaccountabilityteam@va.gov , referencing the applicable case number within the subject line of the email.

Q:   How long does whistleblower protection last after I filed a complaint with OAWP?

A:  There is no bright line rule establishing a period of time for which an individual is protected after filing a complaint with OAWP. Agency officials are prohibited from taking, failing to take, or threatening to take a personnel action because an individual filed a complaint with OAWP. Multiple factors are considered when assessing whether prohibited retaliation occurred.

Q:   How do I find out if something I’m concerned about is appropriate for OAWP to investigate?

A:   If you are seeking additional information about our office, please visit our website, contact the Whistleblower Navigator by email at whistleblowerhelp@va.gov or by phone at 202-461-4500. Additionally, you can review OAWP’s VA Directive 0500. Please note that OAWP does not: 

  • Issue human resources or legal advisory opinions
  • Investigate allegations that involve discrimination and/or reprisal for activity related to filing an equal employment opportunity (EEO) complaint; or
  • Investigate allegations already covered under another administrative process, such as the Federal Labor Relations Authority (FLRA), Merit Systems Protection Board (MSPB), and Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)

Q:   How can I find information for programs or resources related to VA Healthcare or benefits?

A:   That information can be found by accessing: Helpful VA Phone Numbers | Veterans Affairs 

Q:   How can I find telephone numbers for other Veterans Affairs offices other than OAWP?

A:   Here’s a list of toll-free telephone numbers for VA support services and other federal agencies.

  • Veterans Crisis Line (VCL): 1-800-273-8255 (opt 1)
  • Quality of VA Care Related Concerns (VHA)-White House VA Hotline: 1-855-948-2311 
  • Veteran Disability Claims (VBA): 1-800-827-1000  
  • Veteran Pension (VBA): 1-877-294-6380  
  • VA Education Benefits (VBA): 1-888-442-4551  
  • VA Billing Issues-Compliance & Business Integrity (CBI): 1-866-842-4357  
  • Criminal Activity-Office of the Inspector General (OIG): 1-800-488-8244  
  • Whistleblower Reprisal – Office of Special Counsel (OSC): 1-800-872-9855 
  • Discrimination-Office of Resolution Management, Diversity & Inclusion (ORMDI): 1-888-566-3982 (opt 2)